I am always trying to find healthy recipes that include vegetables yet are still appetizing enough to lure in my carnivorous boyfriend. Enter the zucchini fries! He loves fries, but I certainly would not be frying anything- these are lightly breaded and baked. They are pretty quick and easy as well and are not too heavy. Perfect appetizer for a night in!
My recipe was adapted from the amazing blog Skinnytaste
This recipe is for 2, but basically you just increase the number of zucchini per person and then eyeball the rest. Very easy! I would plan on at least 1/2 to 3/4 of a small zucchini per person.
- 1.5-2 small zucchini
- egg white of 1/2 of an egg (or just use the whole thing if you don’t want to save the rest, not really a big deal)
- appx. 1/2c italian breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- garlic salt and fresh cracked pepper
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425. Spray cooking spray onto a baking sheet.
- Cut off the ends of the zucchini. Slice the zucchini into strips so they are “fry sized”.
- Prepare two bowls: One with the egg white that is beaten, and one with the breadcrumbs, cheese, garlic salt, and pepper.
- Working in batches, submerge the zucchini sticks into the egg whites, then fully coat with bread crumbs. Once coated, place sticks onto your pan. (This process can be helpful with either a helper, or using one hand for “wet”/eggs and one for “dry”/bread crumbs.)
- If desired, lightly spray tops of coated zucchini sticks with cooking spray.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with dipping sauce such as creamy italian dressing or warm marinara sauce.